Monday 21 April 2008

Muddy Fields, Cake & Beards...

Well, I'm finally off dial-up..my teenager was left at home with her friend for one day in the holidays and managed to break the wifi & bugger up the phones..then spent the rest of her time off whinging because she couldn't 'chat' online to the boy she likes..still, all good now :)


Where to start..ah, Glastonbury..I was up at the crack on that Sunday morning..both pc's set up & ready for battle! By 9.20am I'd not only got my group's tickets, but various friends aswell. I spent the morning 'bathed in gold' & one lot drove 60 miles to bring me festival strength Brother's Pear Cider! After a few hours of drunkenly jumping around chanting 'Piiiiiiillllllllllttttttooooooon' in deep manly voices, we caught the news saying how it hadn't sold out..nobody cared by then though..we were going..now I just have to learn how to drive our old Dodge camper..





..and polish my wellies..







The festival season kicks off in less than 4 weeks for us..we've got a stall & a huge tea tent at the Bearded Theory Festival in the middle of May. We're also hosting the open mic sessions in the tent..and Rev Hammer will be doing a spot! The planning is knackering us out..making list after list, and knowing we don't have the funds for at least another week to get fully equipped..apart from all the obvious equipment we will be taking..and offering..

Freshly ground Fair Trade Coffee of every genre..Juices & Smoothies..

Hot Chocolate Heaven..made with liquid chocolate - dark or white - & covered in cream & sprinkles of your choice (fudge chips are my favourite)..

FT Tea, Red Label, Herbal, Fruit & Chai..Vanilla, Spiced & Peppermint..


You can't beat Peppermint Chai with a tot of Brandy in for cockle-warming..


Then there's the cakes..


Choc Fudge, White Choc & Cranberry, Dorset Apple Cake, Lemon & Blueberry, Cappuccino, Lux Carrot & Walnut, Lux Coffee & Walnut, Peach Melba, Banana & Choc..

Muffins, Giant Cookies, Crumble Cake, Caramel Shortbread & Cupcakes..

..all served in/on 100% biodegradable cups & plates..organic milk, GM Free, free-range eggs etc etc..

Then there's the stall, but that's pretty easy..I'll just take the contents of the shop..& the landlord will no doubt sweat for a few days thinking we may have done a runner..

..and then there's the beards..the festy organisers asked if we could sell some..as it's compulsory to wear a beard at the event..I've just managed to source some..I just hope they sell! :)






My writing is all over the place at the moment..I put Aisling Dreams away a couple of weeks ago with the intention of getting it out for one more re-write before I blanket sub it..I've drafted out the mirror book, What Reality? and started writing it properly..I've written it in the first person to challenge myself, but I think that will change..

I've got an urge buzzing around my head that just won't go away..to write about my Nan..she had my Dad illegitimately in 1921 & kept him..she was only 17! Disowned by most of her well-to-do family she moved to the midlands where the father lived, but he wasn't interested..she was put together with a one-armed man 20 years older than her..he tried to chop one of her arms off with an axe, but just cut her badly..he then went to prison & she married him when he came out! Then had my Dad share her bed until he was 12 so she didn't have to sleep with him..and on it goes

I won the Flash Poetry challenge on WW this week and am still in shock! I think my poetry is crap..it always rhymes and it's simple to read..it was 'Wasp' ( see a few blogs down )..x

7 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Your nan sounds amazing!!!!! And oooh those cakes ...

:))

A
xxx

slippingthroughtheworld said...

yeah marla, write about your nan. i love your wellies and always wanted an old camper van, but nowadays i reeeeeeeeeeaaaally need electricity and a sofa! x

slippingthroughtheworld said...

hi marla. just to let you know, I tagged you on my blog, head over there and see what you need to do, it's a bookish meme thingy.... No obligation of course! x

Poppy said...

I tagged you on my blog too, Marla,
pxx

JILLS said...

Hi Gail. You DID go to Glastonbury for the music didn't you? Sounds brilliant! Must admit the ood and drink sound completely scrummy!

The thing about your nan reminds me of the thing about my great great great nan - family history can be surprisingly interesting don't you think?

Well done on winning he flash poetry - I alwas said you had it in you!

Keep writing.#Hugs and kisses.
Jillyxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JILLS said...

Just read my comment back and saw 'ood'. must have had a Doctor Who moment. Sorry hon!
I meant food of course!.
Jilly

Sheila Cornelius said...

Hi Marla!

Do you do Womad? What a mud-out last year! A camper van strikes me as a the height of luxury and I'd love to have one.

Sheila